Beginning Hand Quilting
by Andi Perejda
No sewing machine needed.
- ½ yard solid color fabric (or 2 fat quarters of solids).
- Bring a light box if using dark-colored solid fabric.
- Quilting Thimble: Thimble from the Needleart Guild, also available from Colonial Needle Co. It has a brass end with a grid stamped into it and a lip so the needle doesn't slip. A Dritz thimble with a waffle-cut end is also okay.
Andi has thimbles available for purchase.
- #50 Cotton thread for quilting.
- Quilting needles (betweens), size #10 or #12.
- 12 to 14 inch circular wooden hoop
- Batting (about 22” square piece). Please do NOT use Warm and Natural cotton, Thermore or Pellon Fleece. Instead, Hobbs Heirloom Cotton, Hobbs Poly Down, Hobbs Wool, Quilter's Dream Cotton (Request), Quilter's Dream Poly, Fairfield Low-Loft Polyester and Fairfield Soft-Touch cotton battings are good choices.
- Marking pencils/ tools you have on hand, but don't buy any for the class. I will have a variety of tools to try in class, also.
- Masking tape
- Large quilting pins for basting
- Large basting needle
- Basting thread
- Small scissors
- Optional: Needle threader
A smile and a positive attitude!